Saturday, September 29, 2012

Outdoor Adventures


This past week, I have been spending a lot of my free time exploring the island.  I am comfortable with the location of all of the major things and can navigate my way fairly well through the main roads of Yap – however, after almost 3 months on the island, I realized that there is so much island that I just have not taken the time to find, to explore, to adventure through.  So, a majority of my time outside of school was spent hiking through the natural treasures of Yap.  I ventured to one of the highest points on the island to get some gorgeous views of the sun setting – the sky went from a crystal blue, to a cotton candy blend of purple and pink, to a fiery orange, yellow, and red – my camera does not do justice to just how mesmerizing the skies can be here.  I may or may not have climbed a radio tower to capture some shots of the far side of the island (Sorry, Mom – I swear it was safe… well, kinda).  I also took the time to go out of my way to use the traditional stone paths for the more scenic routes around the island – absolutely breath taking and humbling to realize how long ago these paths were made and how much intricate time, effort, and skill was put into them to be made by hand.  To relax this weekend, I checked out some of the small trails behind our house that lead to various groves of betelnut, coconut, breadfruit, and banana trees.  During this hike today – I decided I wanted to create a little wall art for our back porch to leave the “Taro Patch Kids’” mark on our wonderful home.  Thank-you Trail to Adventure for honing my lashing skills – they came in handy – especially since I was tying them with some vine-like weeds.  Enjoy the pictures!

Sunset from the Radio Tower

About midway up to the Radio Tower

Reminds me of the Circle of Life from The Lion King

Stone Path

Stone Path

Taro. Patch. Kids.

My afternoon project

“Boys can see adventure in a dirty old duck puddle…”                                                                   
                                                                                     -Lord Baden Powell

1 comment: