Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Heroes


     At YCHS, we open every day after homeroom with a morning assembly of all of the students and faculty.  We gather in the Junior classroom where the students sit on the floor and the 7 teachers sit in a row of chairs in the front.  Our Principal, Mickey, opens with a few announcements and congratulations for classes that have perfect attendance for that day (so far we have only had 1 absence in the entire school – I know… wow).  Then the floor is opened for any teacher announcements.  Following announcements is a short reflection and prayer by one of the teachers.  We change every week – and at our Faculty Retreat Day yesterday, it became my turn. 

     I had been contemplating for a while what attitude I wanted to take with my reflections – especially this first one knowing that I would be focusing on the 11th Anniversary of the September 11 attacks.  I was watching a not so high quality version of The Dark Knight Rises (fantastic movie overall – paled in comparison to The Dark Knight -horrible adaptation from the comic books), when my mind began to wander to an idea.  I would like to send a huge thank you and personal shout out to one of my greatest heroes: my lifelong Scoutmaster, Mr. Mike Lerch.  The following is the reflection that I gave this morning, and it is dedicated to you Mr. Lerch.
-                    
      Today marks the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on America on September 11, 2001.  I am not sure how much all of you know about these attacks, but today touches a special place in the hearts of all Americans.  Today could very easily be a day of sadness as we reflect on the horrible attacks.  But I think it may be an even better day to remember all of the heroes involved in this tragedy.  Now, the freshmen have already heard me talk about how my favorite superhero is Batman – and while yes, Batman is a great hero with many good qualities – I am talking about a different type of hero.  I started by thinking of all of the firefighters, policeman, and EMTs who risked and sacrificed their lives.  I began to think about all of the soldiers who have risked their lives, and many who have lost their lives, to ensure our freedom.  I began to think of the sacrifices all of these men and women have made – they sacrificed time with their families, they sacrificed their safety, they sacrificed everything – many of them gave their lives, to protect us.  Then I realized how many more heroes were lost that day – all of the mothers, the fathers, the sisters, the brothers, the friends, the loved ones who joined God in Heaven on that day.  These heroes who have touched our lives in so many indescribable ways.  These heroes who have shaped who we are – who  have done so much for us.  Today is a day to remember all of the heroes in our lives – those who are still with us, and those who have passed on to an eternal life with God.

-          Lord, thank-you for blessing us with all of the heroes in our lives.  Please bless those fallen heroes who you have called to be with you in Heaven and please bless those heroes who are still with us here on Earth.  Lord, please watch over us and bless us that we too may someday be like these heroes and be able to touch the lives of others the way that they have touched ours.  For this we pray to the Lord -  Lord here our prayer.

Don’t forget how blessed you are to have so many heroes in your life.  Take the time today to thank those heroes – whether they are with us here on Earth, or if they are in eternal bliss in Heaven – everyone needs a reminder sometimes that they are loved.



“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” 
                                                                                                             –Joseph Campbell

1 comment: