Saturday, January 4, 2014

Living Yap

     Sirow, sirow – I know that this whole blog thing has fallen into the taro patch (that is not a real expression here – but I think I could get it started… kinda like “fetch” from Mean Girls.) I was trying to come up with some fantastic excuse about why I have not been updating the “world” with tales of chivalry, tree-climbing, spear fishing, barefootedness and adventure – but I realized that while I have been stretched a little thin the past few months, the true reason for my lack of communication is much more exciting – at least for me.

     Now – I have been quite busy, so here is a quick little update on what I have been up to. For school, the eternal volleyball season ran from August to December and YCHS came in third in the Varsity games against COM, Yap High School, and SDA. Our team has certainly come a long way from last year. On top of that volleyball league, I played for Maap in the island-wide men’s league as well as reffing. To top off all of the volleyball fun – I have been training with the Yap State team for the 2014 Micro Games, which are essentially the Olympics of the Pacific.

     I also have been teaching an extra class, which has made my days at school incredibly packed, but they fly by. Picking up the Senior Trigonometry class proved to be quite the challenge, but I will thankfully be returning back to a more normal schedule in the 3rd quarter as we welcome a new teacher to our staff.

     Now for the fantastic, true reason that I have seemed to literally have fallen off the face of the earth. See – I know the real fun of reading this blog is to hear stories that seem wild, crazy, ridiculous – but I have hit the point that the things that used to seem so absurd and strange have just become part of my everyday life. The simplicity, the local food, the betelnut, the tree climbing, the dirt, the smell of cooking fires, the stone path jungle hikes to the store, the roosters, the heat, the language, the Yapese, the love – it is all part of my life now – it is all part of my heart.


I am no longer simply living on Yap – I am living Yap.

1 comment:

  1. Keep living Yap.. Though you may not know it, and though it often doesn't seem the case.. You are making a difference and a positive one at that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete