Friday, September 27, 2013

Gu ba’adagem, Nina

              Sirow for the long delay in between posts.  Things have been quite busy on the island.  A super quick update on things:  I spent my 3 ½ weeks between summer session and the regular school year coaching some volleyball clinics at the Yap Community Center 4 times a week.  The YCHS Boys and Girls teams both went on to take home the Championship Title in the end of the summer Junior League tournament.  It was a hectic weekend of coaching, driving a pick-up truck without mirrors, and reffing – but it was an unforgettable experience with my kids.

            School has been phenomenal this year.  I adore my classes.  I can’t believe how much love and laughter my students bring into my life.  I could not be in a better place right now.  I am even beginning to feel like a real math teacher and actually feel like I know what I am talking about.  Oddly – I also am getting way too comfortable teaching chemistry and surprise myself with the random tidbits of knowledge that have stuck with me over the years.

            And finally- for the blog-inducing event of my adventures – the birthday of my indescribably perfect Yapese mother.  Mary Guchol has been my rock since I have come to Yap. Honestly, I do not think I could have survived without her and all of the love and support she has given me.  She welcomed me without hesitation into her Yap family, and I could not be more proud to call her my “Nina.”  Tonight, we celebrated her 67th birthday over at Stan and Sheryl’s place (the amazing Australian couple who lives right across from us) in typical island fashion with heaps of delicious food.  I meant to make the famous Mrs. Behe’s BBQ, but due to a ground beef shortage on island, I settled with making my mother’s even more famous chocolate chip cookies (they weren’t quite as good as hers – but they still made the impression they needed to.)  Mary’s one daughter traveled all the way from Guam to surprise her for the week, and it was a fantastic dinner party with close friends from the village.

            This blog post is dedicated to you, Nina.  Gu ba’adagem – I love you.  Thank-you for being my mother on Yap so that my mother back in Pennsylvania knows I am in good hands.  You are an angel.




Martin modeling some zucchini bread all the way from the states

Nina birthday celebrations!
Nina cutting her birthday cake

Summer passing out after all of the festivities
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”                                                                            -Lau Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment