Monday, July 9, 2012

The Adventure Begins


The time is 11:39 PM.  I slowly walk down the aisle of the plane carrying my laptop bag overflowing far past its natural capacity.  As I descend the small, portable stairs onto the pavement, I look around to see only 2 other planes (something I will learn in a few hours is a rarity) and a little building with a couple kiosks welcoming “Yap Citizens” and “Non-Yap Citizens.”  I get my passport approved and stamped and am surprisingly welcomed by a young boy and girl dressed in traditional clothing and had a lea (there are like 2 other Yapese words for these, but I can barely remember what “hello” is) placed around my neck.  I was then ushered to baggage claim, which consists of a few men unloading a pick-up truck of luggage to a group of about 60 people who wait patiently to see their bag get pulled from the truck.  Once I have my bags, I pass through customs (aka a man quickly glances at my form and welcomes me to the island).  As I exit customs, I am greeted by the other volunteers of Yap Catholic High School, the Superior General of the Yap Jesuits, and one of my future students.  I should mention now that from the exit of the plane to exiting customs all took place in less than 100 feet.   A crown of flowers is quickly placed upon my head and then I suddenly find myself being driven to my new home.

            For those of you who do not know, my name is Michael Joseph Wiencek and I am volunteering on the developing island of Yap, Micronesia for the next year.  I have only been here for 3 days, and I feel like I could write for hours about what I have experienced thus far.  But that would make for one very long first blog entry and then who knows what I would write about next time.  So for now, I will say that I am currently on a roller coaster of emotions.  Life in Yap is like nothing I have ever experienced before, and it will definitely take some time to adjust to the island lifestyle, but I am happy and excited to be here.  This year is undoubtedly going to be filled with struggles and challenges, but it will also be filled with eye-opening experiences, invaluable wisdom, and unconditional love.  There are so many things I will miss throughout this year, so many people that I can barely imagine living without; but I know that I will grow so much through how I react to all of the things and people I miss.  I will always hold these people in my heart, but I must live in the moment, with the people of Yap, in a world that I am a stranger.  Only then, will I be able to find myself truly at home.

“Say goodbye to golden yesterdays – or your heart will never learn to love the present.” 
                                                                        -Anthony de Mello SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment